= Zoom in
= Zoom out
The monastery on the island of Reichenau was founded in 724 by the abbot and
bishop Saint Pirminius, and flourished between the 8th and the 11th centuries, becoming an
important center of art and culture of the Middle Ages.
From the 20 churches and chapels once on Reichenau, only three remain, the monastery church
St. Mary and Marcus, consecrated in 816, the church St. Peter and Paul, founded in 799 and
rebuilt in 1134, with Rococo decorations dating from 1760, and the church St. George,
built around the end of the 9th century, with mural paintings dating from before the year 1.000.